Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Big Red

These days I have been spending my time in Big Red.  She's a real beauty.  

In addition to our farm, my family also owns and operates a Retail Crop Protection Business.  I spread all of the dry fertilizer for other farmers.  Fertilizer is just a fancy name for plant food.  Basically, nutrients are needed to grow a field of corn, soybeans, beets, carrots, potatoes, etc.

So I go out to the fields in ole' Big Red and pretend I'm a Monster Truck Driver. Well, not really, or at least not the whole time.

At times I'm too busy singing at the top of my lungs with my ipod.  It ain't no fancy ipod.  But I really add a lot to the songs of Johnny Cash, Beyonce, George Strait, and Aerosmith.  Put it on shuffle and talk about an eclectic mix of music!
The only reason I can really have my own concerts in Big Red is because her computer is smarter than me.  The computer allows for auto-steer, meaning I only have to steer when I turn on the ends, it has dual bins so I can put two different fertilizers on at the same time, and it only puts fertilizer on where it needs it in the fields.  This certainly makes my job easier and I can go on pretending that I'm Martina McBride driving a monster truck in a field in central Indiana. 

No comments:

Post a Comment